1. My idea of visitation: everybody come to see me.
2. My idea of sympathy: everybody suffering with me.
3. My idea of a sinner: the man for whom I have a great dislike.
4. My idea of a meek man: the man who yields to me.
5. My idea of a contentious man: the man who takes issue with me.
6. My idea of a wise man: the man who listens to me.
7. My idea of unity: everybody agreeing with me.
8. My idea of cooperation: everybody working with me.
9. My idea of a good sermon: one that fits and hits everybody but me.
The bottom-line is this—we will never be of any great usefulness in God’s kingdom until we value others more than self. As long as we “look out for number one” instead of the needs of others we miss our God-given purpose in life. It is precisely for this reason that so many people are miserable. As someone said, the way to spell JOY is, Jesus first, Others second, and Yourself last.