Feelings can be powerful and sometimes not being able to express yourself is one of the most frustrating things in life. Most people know it’s not always appropriate to say what you think, but refraining can be very difficult. Because of the nature of certain problems we feel justified in expressing ourselves– even though we know that it probably won’t help. We feel the underlying cause is so great, painful, or important that we ought to say or do something even if it’s wrong, and sadly we often do. But he is a fool who says,”I’m thinking it, I might as well say it!”
Let’s face it, people do horrible things to others. Sometimes those you love dearly will intentionally hurt you without any regard for the harm they cause. I have to admit it–I’m afraid! I fear that someday I will cast off all restraint, unleash my pent up emotions and say what I think. If you think I’ve already done that you are mistaken– as we hillbillies say, “You ain’t heard nuttin yet!” I hope you never do. But I confess that much of the time I am walking a tightrope and fear I will fall.
I have written several articles that I cannot, in a good conscious, send out– it would be a fool uttering all his mind. Everything in the articles is true and certain people really do need the message, but not from me, or not now. As much as my flesh would like to express itself I hope and pray that it never does. Venting might give you some relief for a moment, but chances are it will do more harm than good. Changing others by way of complaint is not in my job description, nor yours. Your example is much more effective than your expression of displeasure.
Mark Twain gave us some good advice when he said, ” Don’t complain and talk about all your problems– 80 percent of people don’t care; the other 20 percent will think you deserve them”. –HDS